- Systems and Development
- Glasgow, Scotland
Splunk Network Administrator
CityFibre provides wholesale connectivity to multiple business and consumer service providers, local authorities and mobile operators.
As the fastest-growing fibre network in the UK, you could say we’re changing things up. Not only are we unlocking the digital potential of an entire nation, but we’re also constantly evolving, to give our people the most seamless employee experience possible. We’re doing this by creating a sense of purpose among our teams and offering career development opportunities the like of which has never been seen before. We’re a company that cares about people, places and new possibilities. Could this be the fresh start you’re looking for?
Telecoms is fast becoming the most exciting industry to join. It offers the security you need and the chance to make an impact on your community. It’s an industry that’s growing fast, with no sign of slowing down. and CityFibre adopts the same mission for its employees and the communities they work in. We’re creating a life in full-flow. No drop-outs no flicking the switch on and off, we’re making lives easier for the people of the UK, and our people too.
A rewarding career
If you’re going to be changing it up, you deserve to be looked after. That’s why we’re offering a salary of up to £60,000 depending on experience. On top of that, you’ll be able to enjoy plenty of benefits like 25 days’ holiday, a day off on your birthday, a day off to support a charity or organisation of your choice, a performance-related bonus scheme, and private healthcare to name just a few.
How can you change it up?
We’re not looking for you to tick all the boxes, we’re looking for the right mindset and enthusiasm. If you think you’re right for the role, we want to hear from you.
We are looking for a Splunk Network Administrator to join our team of specialists who develop and maintain the network monitoring systems for our FTTP and FTTH services and our internal networks. You will be working closely with the various teams across CityFibre who help to implement and design the networks and services, ensuring that they can be monitored effectively. Day to day, this is what you can expect to be doing:
- Managing and expanding our Splunk Cloud-based monitoring platform to ensure that all network nodes are monitored, and alerts are delivered promptly to relevant teams
- Working closely with the CityFibre network engineering teams to determine their monitoring requirements, identifying further opportunities for automation of monitoring and alerting as the network continues to grow
- Reporting on the network operational status by creating apps, dashboards, and integrations in Splunk to display relevant information to different teams.
- Assisting with the automation of network monitoring agents and collectors via scripting to ensure standardisation of our network monitoring
- Developing solutions that are reusable and can be universally applied to monitor various vendors' network hardware
What will you bring to the role?
We are looking for an enthusiastic and proactive individual who likes a challenging and varied role. You will be a main point of contact for escalations and enjoy working across departments. You will bring some of the below to CityFibre with you:
- Proven experience of Splunk (Cloud or on-premise) system administration, including managing data ingestion, indexes, dashboards and query optimisation
- Strong understanding of data networking, with a particular focus on monitoring protocols such as SNMP, NetFlow and IPFIX
- Knowledge of Linux and general system administration
It would also be beneficial if you had experience in the following:
- An understanding of MIBs, OIDs and the translation and applying them to different use cases
- Scripting knowledge in at least one language e.g. Python
- Experience of working with Amazon Web Services
If you’ve just found yourself nodding and thinking, ‘I can do that!’, things are about to get exciting.
Our unique culture
So that’s the role, now let us tell you a bit more about life at CityFibre. We’ve built a diverse, inclusive and authentic workplace that offers anyone the chance to grow a new career. We’re a Times Top 50 Employer for Women, have partnerships with Work180, Vercida and Disability Confidence, just to name a few – it inspires us day-to-day. The foundations of our teams are rooted in respect, development and continuous support. Our people are already changing it up, are you ready to join them?
CityFibre is committed to providing equal employment opportunities to individuals from all backgrounds, including ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, age, family status and disability. We recognise that everyone is an individual with a wide range of experiences and perspectives and believe this diversity of thought is what makes CityFibre special.